Hyperpigmentation is a condition where there is a formation of dark patches on the skin. The coloring of one’s skin is referred to as pigmentation. It is due to the production of a substance called melanin by your skin cells. In various diseases this substance can be over(hyperpigmentation) or under produced (hypopigmentation) and this causes a discoloration of the affected person’s skin resulting in darker or lighter patches of skin.
WHAT ARE THE
Listed below are the various causes that can lead to hyperpigmentation on the skin-
- Melasma- This is a type of skin darkening that is caused by hormonal changes in the body. It can be seen on any part of the body but is more common on the face. This is the type of hyperpigmentation mostly seen during pregnancy or oral contraceptive use.
- Sun Spots- These are usually seen as a result of sun exposure and hence are seen in areas exposed to the sun such as face and neck. Other names for these include liver spots and solar lentigines.
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation- This is due to inflammation of the skin; it is seen in conditions such as acne and eczema.
- Addison’s disease- This is an endocrine condition in which hyperpigmentation can develop on the exposed parts of the skin.
- Adverse drug reactions- Some medications can also lead to hyperpigmentation. These include anti-malarial medication, some antidepressant medications and has even been seen due to some topical cream usage.
What are the
There are several measures we can take to help avoid this condition from developing and reduce its chances of taking place. These measures are-
Protection from the sun- Since sun exposure is a cause of hyperpigmentation, an easy way to protect your skin is to limit exposure, another precaution you can take is to apply sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) whenever you can to shield your skin. Another simple measure that can be taken is by avoiding the sun between 10am and 4pm at which time it is the strongest.
Avoid Picking at your skin- Since patches of skin can develop after injury, avoid trying to remove scabs, spots and acne.
Healthy Lifestyle - A healthy well balanced diet rich in antioxidants, regular exercise, adequate sleep and stress avoidance is the basis for a healthy glowing skin and helps to prevent pigmentation
Care for your skin- When it comes to hyperpigmentation, following a regular skincare routine goes a long way in helping in its protection. Some measures that can be taken are keeping your skin hydrated, applying lotions and creams to prevent dryness and regular visits to your dermatologist.
What are the home remedies
Some common home remedies are listed below-
- Aloe Vera-
A compound present in aloe vera known as aleosin has been seen to lighten patches of hyperpigmentation in some cases. Aloe vera gel can be directly applied on the skin. This method however hasn’t been scientifically proven to work yet and is being researched on further.
- Liquorice extract-
In some studies a compound known as glabridin present in liquorice extract has shown to help lighten patches of skin and is even seen present in some creams. It is suggested that due to its anti-inflammatory effects it can lead to skin lightening.
Other measures such as drinking green tea have also shown positive effects in some cases. One important factor to consider while contemplating home remedies is the lack of scientific evidence to support their effects. Due to this, visit us at Dr Latika Arya Skin & Aesthetic Clinic for best hyperpigmentation treatment.
WHAT IS THE
At Dr Latika Arya Skin & Aesthetic Clinic, we use the latest technologies giving patients world class treatment at an affordable cost. The treatment of hyperpigmentation depends on the cause of the hyperpigmentation. Some of these procedures are listed below-
- Topical cream- Many different creams and lotions are available that help lighten your skin and treat the condition.
- Cosmetic procedures- We offer a number of treatments to help tackle resistant hyperpigmentation. These procedures have different mechanisms to reduce the excess pigmentation and the optimum solution can be decided after assessment of the cause of the hyperpigmentation. These are listed below-
Laser therapy- In this a laser is used in short bursts which harmlessly passes through the upper layers of skin and is absorbed by the pigment(melanin) producing heat. It is a totally painless process which causes the melanin in the cells to get lightened without damaging the cells. This leads to gradual lightening of the discoloured patches of the skin and even helps in reducing wrinkles. We at Dr Latika Arya Skin & Aesthetic Clinic use the best in class – Helios-3 Q switched NdYAG laser. It is very safe and effective in treating hyperpigmentation.
Chemical peels- In this procedure a chemical solution is applied on your face which makes your skin undergo a superficial destruction and peel off. This exposes the less wrinkled and smoother skin beneath. This procedure not just helps in treating hyperpigmentation but also reduces wrinkles, fine line, acne and even improves the look and feel of the skin itself.
Mesotherapy- It is a popular technique used in which an injection of vitamins, antioxidants and skin lightening substances is given into the skin with the help of very tiny needles or delivered without needles through electroporation. This therapy helps to reduce the underlying pigmentation. We at Dr Latika Arya Skin & Aesthetic Clinic believe in patient satisfaction and tailor this treatment to the exact needs of the patient.
Microdermabrasion- In this technique an application device with a rough surface like a diamond tip is used to help remove the outer dead layer of skin. A different microdermabrasion procedure makes use of fine particles of aluminum oxide with a vacuum/suction to accomplish the same outcome as the abrasive surface. This procedure reduces sun damage, age spots, fine lines and PIH.
Hyperpigmentation is a common skin condition and we at Dr Latika Arya Skin & Aesthetic Clinic are here to help you get the best treatment possible. We use only US-FDA approved devices and are there to support you through the entire treatment process.
Contact us at the earliest to treat all skin related conditions such as hyperpigmentation and help your skin feel much better, softer and look beautiful.